Vapor Life

Vapor life... My life as it is, as it should be. *********************************************************************************************************** Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep. Fran Lebowitz (1950 - )

Thursday, April 20, 2006

HD DVD? What is it good for…


Absolutely No…Wait a minute. Lets talk about this. The reason I have a DVD player in the first place is the better quality, now I need a new HD DVD? I mean I have a HD TV so why not, right.

The real question is how much is too much. I mean the eye can only see what it can see. The bottom line for me at least is, this HD DVD that is clearly in its infancy is not ready for my living room. Like most things (tech wise) getting in on the initial round of offerings will only empty my wallet and usually leave me wanting the better model I missed w/o all the bugs.

Here is some quotes to let you decide.

From engadget:

If there's a consensus opinion, it's that HD DVD may be great for early adopters and HD connoisseurs, but less discerning viewers may not see what the big deal is.

And

To quote their quote form HD Beat:

As Ben Drawbaugh puts it on HDBeat: "Bottom line is that HD-DVD is great, but will you notice? If you can't tell the difference between DVD's and HBO HD than you might be just as well off with a upconverting DVD player.


On the other hand here is a quote from the comments section in the same blog:

“Naysayers say nay. That's what they do. The fact of the matter is HD-DVD has eight times the resolution of standard DVD. Whether a person notices that or not is not really relevant to me; you know, lots of people need glasses and they don't even know it. I'm not going to rely on the pronouncements of someone who says they can't tell the difference between DVD and HD-DVD.” (thanks Jeff)

7 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont get it, you need a hd dvd player or hd dvd's? and if the dvd is hd will it play in my regular dvd player on my hd tv? too much for me. just let me know when it is out and if it is worth a purchase.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Fatgracdaddy said...

It is easy to figure all this stuff out just think of it this way when you have a thing you like say a movie like uh i dont know "The Matrix" then 1 year from then it will be available in every format and possible permutaion with and without letterbox and comments from the brother of the guy that first thought of the coloring for the movie trailer.

Then they will obsolete it and make you buy it all new because it will be re relased the following year with the latest and greatest enhancement to the background filtering letterbox corners or some crap... its all about the benjamins baby buy buy buy or wait till somebody makes fun of you for being obsolete then upgrade.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Fatgracdaddy said...

Thia looks suspiciously like my new american express blue card...suspicious.

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Beano said...

You need a special hd dvd (or rival blue ray dvd) player to play these disks. It uses a tighter light band width "blue" lazer and therefore can get more info onto the disk. Giving way to High def movives, more info on disks and the like...

HD DVD (High Density Digital Versatile Disc or High Definition Digital Video Disc) is a digital optical media format which is being developed as one standard for high-definition DVD. HD DVD is similar to the competing Blu-ray Disc, which also uses the same CD-size (120 mm diameter) optical data storage media and 405 nm wavelength blue laser. HD DVD is promoted by Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, and, most recently, Microsoft, HP [1], and Intel. HD DVD may be non-exclusively backed by three major studios: Paramount Pictures, Universal Studios and Warner Bros. Toshiba announced the first sales of HD DVD players set for March 2006 with models priced at $499 and $799, though studios are not planning movie releases until April.

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like he said....suspicious
no way am i gonna pay that much money for something i probably will never understand. i will just stick to my digitally remasterd star wars movie on my regular dvd player and my normal tv.....thanks though

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Fatgracdaddy said...

but if you break down my money is on the hd-dvd to win the next format wars.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Beano said...

84 Olds.. you sly dog... how ya been?

I was listening to This Week In Tech podcast (I know TWIT) and they seemed to have the opnion that HD DVD would be the winner based on the Microsoft angel and produciton methods that I was unaware of.

Podcast #52 if you want to hear it you can get it here: http://thisweekintech.com/

If nothing else I thought some interesting insight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home